Thursday 30 April 2009

A Little Night Music

"IT IS A STORY you tell lying down, when all the storms have rumbled off elsewhere, the fires abated, the musicians packed up, tents blown away like milkweed, the earth turns--maybe."
(Extract from Between Lives: An Artist and Her World)

(Bateau Bleue)

A quick break from dissertationing to blog!
I am pretty interested in reading Between Lives: An Artist and Her World, a memoir written by Dorothea Tanning, the oldest living Surrealist, and my top favourite artist (probably) ever. She is definately not the most famous, or even known particularly well in the Surrealist movement and often she is more just Max Ernsts wife, but I think she is awesome. Although a lot of what she does scares me, I always end up liking the feeling of being scared and lost in her frightening worlds. It feels a bit like being stuck in a dream forever. Anyway, she pretty much inspired me through most of school (her and Max Ernst= my big obsession in art class) and I think it would be cool to see what she has to say!

"As for still being here," says Tanning, 91, "I can only apologize."

(Eine Kleine Nachtmusik)

No comments:

Post a Comment